Friday, January 14, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake

IMG_1039

Again, allow me to demonstrate how backlogged my blogging is (hey look though…two in the same week!). Kai’s birthday was in December! And being his amazingly awesome friend (…one who loves to bake) of course I was going to make him a birthday cake!

When I asked him what cake he wanted he said “a strange one”. Great. Thanks Kai, that was a lot of help.

DSC_2298

Luckily I was able to find a pretty strange one if I do say so myself.

DSC_2309

Vegan chocolate avocado cake.

Are your eyebrows raised?

Trust me on this one. It’s worth the adventure.

I got the recipe from Joythebaker, which included this awesome avocado buttercream frosting.

Remember that TV show on Nickelodeon where they would literally just dump green slime on people?

The frosting totally looked like that.

In fact, if I were to have a slime throwing contest (…kai take notes this could be good), I would just make up a ton of this frosting…and chuck it at people.

DSC_2307

Despite looking like someone had thrown a ton of green slime on my beautiful chocolate cake,this cake was REALLY good, and very convenient because it did not require milk, eggs or butter (we tend to go through A LOT of butter).

The frosting was the most interesting part. It was really tangy (probably because I added more lemon juice than I probably was supposed to), but it went really nicely with the chocolate cake. It was not as sweet as so many frostings are which was a pleasant change. The only change I would make would be to really make sure the avocadoes are as ripe as the possibly could be. Mine were still a bit hard, and I’m sure I sacrificed flavor for it.

PLAN AHEAD!! (ugh)

So if you’re looking for an adventure in baking, or if you just want a really awesome vegan cake, give this one a shot. I will absolutely be making it again.

Side note, you totally get instant “WOOOWs” for creating a baked good with both vegan and avocado in the title.

Bonus: you can attempt to pass the cake off as “more healthy” because it’s made with avocadoes instead of butter. Healthy fats! (don’t be fooled…it’s still a cake)

Give it a shot.

DSC_2314

It’s awesome.

DSC_2320

***NOTE*** I forgot to mention that this cake really sticks to the pans (sorry Sasha!!). Make sure you REALLY flour your pan!!

Recipe: Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake

3 comments:

  1. This is so full of awesome vegan insanity. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note about it sticking to the pan, I'm making this cake again this weekend for an eco-event (what's more environmentally friendly than a green cake?) and had totally forgotten that fiasco!

    ReplyDelete