Saturday, January 22, 2011

Let’s Talk About….Milk

 

 

051

These are the cows that provide me and Kai with our milk

 

052

This is me chilling with said cows

 043 

This is Kai being crazy. Or excited to get our milk.

050 

These are the machines that bottle our  milk

IMG_0778

This is the sweet glass bottle our milk comes in

I guess I just felt like sharing this because I’m really proud that we’ve managed to maintain a drive to find local and more healthy foods. This milk was a particular win because we tracked down this awesome dairy farm where you can see the cows outside roaming happily.

Too frequently this country has turned to producing the cheapest goods we can, which often requires sacrificing the environment as well as our health.

It scares me how much the food industry can get away with just because consumers are not paying attention or are oblivious, and our government for some reason chooses to not protect the health of their people. 

If you want a really good book on this issue, pick up Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. This book changed my whole mindset  on meat, eggs, and dairy, and actually inspired my Master’s paper. It is not just a book yelling at you to become vegetarian, but it really gives you enough information to think about what you’re putting in your mouth. I’m actually not a vegetarian, but am pretty close. Another good one is In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen.

Anyways, discovering Cooper's Hilltop Dairy Farm was really a win for me over the food industry (lame right? but totally true). Kai is really proud that we’ve managed to spread the joy to about 8 of our friends, and constantly makes jokes about how we’re basically the milk man.

If you are one of our lovely friends (or even friends of friends of friends) in the area, and you want in on the delicousness of glass bottled, local happy cow milk, just let one of us know! We’re happy to pick up for more people!

Seriously. It’s SO good.

Happy extremely cold  oh  my god when is it going to be warm again winter day

-Leah

1 comment:

  1. ah, how I miss our milk runs - and our milk. Glad to hear Cory's keeping up with our room's consumption quota!

    ReplyDelete