Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Barley Black Bean Salad

 

 

IMG_2021

 

I literally have 4 posts partially done.

I have delicious things to report on, that I want you to feel the need to run to your kitchen after reading. Why can’t I just finish them? I’ll get there.

For now I will distract you with a super simple, quick, wonderful grain salad.

I swear I eat real food. I don’t just bake and eat that all day…although that’s not a bad idea.

This is proof! This salad is bright and colorful, chewy from the barley, creamy from the beans, crunchy from the pepper, and gets a note of crisp freshness from the cilantro lime dressing.

Don’t like barley? I don’t like you!

…Just kidding. I love all of you.

Trade it out! I think the original recipe called for rice (borrinng!). I’ve made it with quinoa. I’m sure you could do something crazy like use…wheat berries?

Perfect potluck dish! Just…go make it. I don’t have a whole lot else to say.

Black Bean Salad with Chili Lime Dressing

Ingredients

1 can Black beans

1/2 cup Barley (or grain of choice)

1 to 1 1/2 Colored pepper (use different colors and it’s SUPER pretty!)

1 tomato (optional)

1/2 sweet/red onion (I actually forgot it this time and its fine)

1/2 cup fresh cilantro

dressing

1 lime

1 Tbs olive oil, or more to your preference

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

pinch of cayenne (more if you want it spicier)

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Bring 1 cup of water to boil in a small pan. Add Barley and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Chop all vegetables, and wash and chop cilantro. Mix all dressing ingredients together.

Add cooked barley, vegetables and dressing in a bowl and stir!

Makes about 3-4 servings

Super easy right?

Really, the barley should be cooled in the fridge and then all ingredients are mixed, but I am generally hungry by that time, so I just eat it warm. Still good.

On a side note…I definitely made the spice amounts up…just taste it until you think its right. You can always doctor later (welcome to my world of cooking!)

 

NOW!

Take a look at all my pretty pictures that I probably will never post on!

IMG_1995

My first ever tomato plants!

IMG_1998

I learned that container gardening is amazing

 

IMG_2004

 

 

IMG_2008

FYI Serrano chilies are hottt

IMG_2012

Salsa roastingg!

1 comment: