I apologize for the pictures. Some things are too good for good pictures. Sometimes I’m just lazy. I thought it was more important to share the recipes than to worry about looking good (and I was late…)
It’s St. Patrick’s Day. You should make both of these things. They will be delicious, and easy, and just do it.
Cheddar Soda Bread
This bread has pockets of cheese in it. POCKETS of cheese!
Ok quick side note. My roommate Suela has this face she makes when she’s experiencing utter food bliss. It’s like half the reason I bake for her. She’ll first breath in the sent of the baked good and get this huge grin on her face. Then she takes a bite, and if I’ve done my job, she’ll breathe out, and literally her whole body exudes food bliss. It’s hilarious to watch. Being the ultra cheese lover she is, this bread was for her.
It’s absurdly easy. I made it…with a few drinks in me. And it was flawless.
This picture sucks, but the recipe does not
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 9" round pan, caste iron skillet, or just really any pan you have...
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) Add the butter, working it into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Toss in the grated cheese.
4) Mix the buttermilk and egg, and add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until everything is moistened.
5) Scoop the dough into the pan, in as much of a ball shape as you can. Dough will be VERY sticky.
6) Bake the bread for 40 to 45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Its internal temperature at the center will be close to 200°F.
7) Remove the bread from the oven, and loosen the edges with a table knife. Wait 5 minutes, then gently turn it out onto a rack to cool. It's tempting, but wait about 20 minutes before cutting the bread, if you can; it's a bit crumbly when hot.
Irish Cream (Homemade Bailey’s)
OH my god. They are ripping all of us off. Not only is making you own Irish cream cheaper (MUCH cheaper), it’s stronger and far more delicious. Also, so so so very simple!!
Ingredients (makes 4 cups)
- 1 C heavy cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk***
- 1 1/3 C Irish whiskey (I used Jameson)
- 2 T chocolate syrup
- 1 t instant coffee (I used instant espresso because that’s what I had)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t almond extract (I didn’t use)
***Find in the baking section in a small can. Watch out! Evaporated milk comes in the same type of can and it is VERY different!
Wanna see how easy this is?
Mix all ingredients in a blender.
Holy crap. so good
Happy St. Patty’s!